CLARIFICATION: THIS IS NOT A BFHA RALLY but A QUEENS QUIET SKIES RALLY
THE RALLY WILL TAKE PLACE NEAR THE PARK ENTRANCE AT UNION TURNPIKE & FRANCIS LEWIS BOULEVARD. THE PARKING LOT AT UNION TURNPIKE AND 196th PLACE WILL BE ADJACENT TO THE RALLY SITE.
COUNCIL MEMBER PAUL A. VALLONE District 19: The Week in Review
BOWNE PARK SCOPE REVIEW
Thank you to the NYC Department of Parks & Recreation and the local community leaders who attend Tuesday's scope meeting at Bowne Park. As many of you know, Queens Borough President Melinda Katz and I have allocated 2.5 million dollars for capital improvements throughout the park. The input of our community leaders will be critical in ensuring that the money is spent in the best way possible. Bowne Park is one of the shining jewels of our community and now it will continue to shine for decades to come!
FROM the QUEENS CHRONICLE:
BROADWAY-FLUSHING HOMEOWNERS ASSN. PRESENTS HISTORIC DISTRICT PLAQUE
TO ST. ANDREW AVELLINO CHURCH
When The US Department of the Interior and the New York State Historic Preservation Office placed Broadway-Flushing in Queens on the "National Register of Historic Places", there was considerable recognition of St. Andrew Avellino Parish as a very significant part of the community. For example, The McGoldrick Library on Northern Boulevard was named after the founding pastor of the parish, Rev. Edward McGoldrick who had such a great interest in education.
The Broadway-Flushing Homeowners Assn., founded in 1964, recently conducted a program to obtain official Historic District bronze plaques for members to display on their homes. (see photo).
Broadway-Flushing is considered one of the finest residential neighborhoods in New York City. It includes structures representative of early to mid twentieth century American architectural styles. With Bowne Park as a centerpiece, the area has wide avenues, stately trees, spacious lawns and beautiful gardens. The Historic District Council describes it as "A standout Jewel". Broadway-Flushing is so-named because Northern Boulevard was called Broadway until 1916.
In acknowledging the church's stature, the Homeowners Assn. presented the Pastor, Rev. Joseph T. Holcomb with a plaque at the parishes 99th Annual Dinner Dance which was held at the school and attended by 400 on Saturday Nov. 16th. The parish, founded in 1914, includes 3,000 members and an award-winning school which opened in 1925. It is now celebrating its Centennial year. The church, built in 1940, stands as a landmark on Northern Boulevard and 158th Street. It has been recognized as an outstanding example of neo-Romanesque and American Art Deco Architecture.
Historic District bronze plaque
Presentation at St. Andrew's 99th Dinner Dance. (left-right) Maria Becce, Plaque program coordinator; Joseph Brostek. parishes Centennial Committee; Pastor Joseph T. Holcomb and Janet McCreesh, BFHA President.